Gentile Named Executive Vice President, Strategic Communications and Engagement, for CUNA
"I am excited to have a leader of Paul's caliber join the CUNA team. He brings a proven track record of success and innovation with the New Jersey Credit Union League and now he will be instrumental in helping CUNA advance the credit union system throughout the country," said CUNA President/CEO Bill Cheney.
Gentile has served as NJCUL's CEO since December of 2007. Prior to that, he was the editor/publisher of Credit Union Times. He currently serves on the boards of CUNA and the National Credit Union Foundation.
Reporting directly to Cheney, Gentile will lead CUNA's communications, its business and consumer publishing units, the sales and marketing functions, and join with the executive team in providing strategic support across the organization.
"In his new role Paul will be developing and implementing an overarching, company-wide communications and marketing strategy so that we can more completely and comprehensively engage all of our key audiences and stakeholders," said Cheney. "I have watched Paul's commitment to improving the credit union system over the years and his ability to create momentum for new initiatives. His talents will serve CUNA and the credit union system well."
"The New Jersey Credit Union League could not have achieved what it did for the last several years without the relentless support of its member credit unions and the talent and commitment of its staff and board," said Gentile. "It was a privilege to serve New Jersey credit unions. I look forward to continuing that service on the national level, working alongside Bill and the CUNA team during this critical time for credit unions."
During Gentile's five-year tenure, NJCUL spearheaded a number of initiatives to drive member value. They include the following:
- Passage of municipal deposit legislation that allows New Jersey credit unions to compete in the state's $15 billion municipal deposits market;
- Creation of the "Banking You Can Trust" consumer awareness campaign that consistently garners New Jersey one of the nation's highest credit union membership search totals through aSmarterChoice.org;
- Launch of a cutting-edge new conference format, "Credit Union Reality Check";
- Leadership of the CUNA/league effort to create a national consumer awareness site, aSmarterChoice.org;
- Development of an NCUA examination survey, NJ READ, that provides NCUA on-the-ground data on examination practices at credit unions;
- Implemented a statewide video conferencing education system to change the way credit unions interact and to save travel time and money;
- Creation of a statewide shared compliance program that brings affordable, on-site compliance support to credit unions; and,
- Launch of a high-tech videoconferencing system that utilizes satellite sites in the north and the south, along with the centrally located league site, to give CUs a more affordable and accessible way to attain education.
NJCUL's board of directors has appointed a search committee to conduct a nationwide search to find a new CEO.
"We wish Paul all the best and appreciate his contributions to the New Jersey credit union system. We look forward to his work on the national level," said NJCUL Chairman and Garden Savings FCU President/CEO Louis Vetere. "The league will move forward in the best interest of our membership and ensure NJCUL continues to be the powerful advocate that it is today. From our 'Banking You Can Trust' consumer campaign to our growing reputation in Trenton, we are well positioned for the future."