Celebrate ICU Day on Thursday
The Credit Union National Association (CUNA) and Credit Union Magazine wants to take a snapshot of the credit union world on ICU Day. CUNA and Credit Union Magazine are collected photo, videos and stories about credit unions' ICU Day experiences. Photos, videos and messages can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Credit Union Magazine will display the results online.
Credit Union Magazine will also publish a "bonus" edition on ICU Day. The issue, sponsored by CUNA Strategic Services provider, Diebold, will provide an overview of credit unions' past and a look at its future.
Among the ways credit unions and leagues nationwide are celebrating ICU Day include:
- Cutting Edge CU, Milwaukie, Ore., will host an open house at both branches, with refreshments, door prizes, and gifts for visitors.
- Florida Hospital CU, Altamonte Springs, Fla., is asking its members to share their stories about how the credit union has made positive difference in their lives. Members can submit an application with their story for a chance to win $150 Visa Gift Card.
- Officers, directors, managers and staff of Consumers CU, Waukegan, Ill., will greet members and the general public to celebrate ICU Day. Those who stop by can enjoy a cup of coffee and a donut or cookie, a free gift and information about ICU Day.
The Pennsylvania Credit Union Association, recently surveyed its member credit unions about how they are celebrating ICU Day (Life is a Highway Oct. 12):
The responses included:
- Serving refreshments in lobby--27 (56.3%)
- Providing give-aways to members--17 (35.4%)
- Promoting ICU Day on Facebook page--11 (22.9%)
- Wearing special logowear in branches--10 (20.8%)
- Holding an open house--4 (8.3%)
- Hosting a coloring contest for young members--4 (8.3%)
- Collecting/donating items for charitable cause--4 (8.3%)
- Inviting VIPs to visit--2 (4.2%)
- Sponsoring a seasonal community festival--1 (2.1%)
"As we celebrate International Credit Union Day this month, CUNA Mutual Group is proud to celebrate credit unions and reaffirm our commitment to the credit union movement. Whether we are working with state Leagues and national associations, lobbying Congress or finding new ways to serve low-income members, our genuine dedication to the success of the credit union movement drives our actions every day.
"This commitment makes a difference in the system. For instance, in 2011, we were able to support the marketplace in a variety of ways throughout the year, including: More than $35 million to leagues, associations, National Credit Union Foundation, Filene Research Institute, Credit Union Development Education, and other credit union organizations; $962 million in benefits paid to domestic credit union policyholders; more than $1.2 billion in total benefits paid to domestic policyholders and credit union support."
CUNA Mutual Group also noted a number of initiatives the company had participated in during 2011, including:
- Financial literacy program support through the National Credit Union Foundation, including funding and development of the Retirement Reality Fair;
- Actions to address credit card and check fraud in the credit union system;
- Scholarship funds to CUNA Management schools for credit union staff;
- Support for low-income members through the National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions; and
- Political advocacy and a dedicated Corporate and Legislative Affairs team working to support the future of the credit union industry, including: Tax exempt status of credit unions, critical mortgage lending reform, the IRS' Unrelated Business Income Tax, Regulation Z.